Vacating the last interim order, the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court has lifted the ban on download and use of the Chinese short video sharing app TikTok.
Justices N Kirubakaran and SS Sundar, while hearing the case, vacated the interim order by the apex court on 22 April, to ban of TikTok in the country. The judge passing the order said they’re only worried about crimes against online users, especially children.
Amicus Arvind Datar, in submissions of steps to the court, said that there cannot have a system where something which is statutorily permissible becomes judicially impermissible. Banning is not the solution. Rights of legitimate users must be protected.
Earlier, the SC had directed High Court to give the final verdict on its interim order. In case, the HC fails to decide on the interim relief, the interim order will stand vacated, it had added.
On April 3, Madras HC had directed the Centre to ban mobile app TikTok raising concern over its inappropriate content.
TikTok, in response, said that they have complied with government norms and promised to take all the necessary action required to operate in the country. It also removed 6 million videos violating the guidelines and introduction of an age-gate feature to keep away underage users from the platform.
Last month, TikTok also started Safety Centre and resource pages to control bullying. Since the general election is around the corner, it is also acting as an advisor during the electoral process in 10 languages.
It also added that the ban imposed on the app is costing a financial loss of up to $500,000 a day for its developer and putting more than 250 jobs at risk.
At present, TikTok claims to have over 500 million users worldwide and over 120 million in India.