After being in controversy for seeking medical reports of rape victim last week, Uber was sued second time by the woman on Thursday.
The company along with its founder Travis Kalanick and former executives Emil Micheal and Eric Alexander were named in complaint by the 2014 rape victim for publicly disclosing private facts.
“The acts of Uber and its executives who have intruded into her very personal medical records from her sexual assault and callously disregarded her privacy by sharing their contents across the company,” said the suit filed by the victim. The victim allegedly claimed that company’s senior officer Alexander shared the medical records with top brass of the company and present her as liar.
The woman was raped by an Uber driver, who was later convicted, in India in 2014. The Delhi government black listed the company form operating in the capital after the incident. The company’s founder had promised to help the victim and do everything possible to support her. The woman sued the company, later the complaint was settled for an undisclosed sum.
Alexander, a week later after report of him seeking medical records surfaced, service was terminated by Uber. “Alexander showed the records to Kalanick and Michael. The trio discussed the records among themselves and with other staff at Uber, speculating that plaintiff had made up the brutal rape in collusion with a rival of Uber in India in order to undermine Uber’s business. Nothing was further from the truth,” the suit added.
Uber has been under reportedly heightened scrutiny since February, when former engineer Susan Fowler penned down a scathing blog post about sexual harassment and sexism at the company. Recently, Kalanick announced that he would be on indefinite leave of absence from his role as CEO.
Meanwhile, making a statement, Uber said, “No one should have to go through a horrific experience like this, and we’re truly sorry that she’s had to relive it over the law few weeks.”